Saturday, March 23, 2019

Father Involvement


An article published by the University of Florida titled “The Hidden Benefits of Being an Involved Father”, outlines numerous advantages from involved fathers. Here are a few points from this article that stood out to me:

1. The article begins by acknowledging that the questions isn’t whether fathers are more important than mothers in the raising of children. Instead, the point of the article is that there are substantial benefits to having both involved fathers and mothers.

2. One such benefit for children is the positive effect involved fathering has on their behavior and mental health. The article specifically stated that sons of involved fathers demonstrated decreased problem behavior, and daughters demonstrated improved mental health. It is clear that father involvement plays a part in the healthy development of a child’s mind.

3. Involved fathering plays a role in future generations (beyond his own children) as well. Children who grew up with an involved father are more likely to become involved parents themselves. Remember: patterns in parenthood are often perpetuated. (As we know from other sources, this includes both positive and negative patterns, so be mindful. Do you want your children raised the way that you were? Or your grandchildren raised the way you are raising their parents?)

4. When discussing father involvement, our focus is generally on the children. But studies show that involved fathering benefits the entire family. I’ve touched on just a few benefits for children (and there are many more). Mothers also benefit with things such as improved communication between all family members and lessened conflict with teens. Additionally, involved fathering provides benefits to the fathers themselves.

5. That brings me to my last point: Involved fathers experience greater confidence in their ability to make a meaningful contribution not only in parenting but in the workplace and other social interactions as well. They feel a secure attachment with and more support from the family.

These are only a few of the benefits mentioned in the article (check out the link above to see it for yourself!). Give it some thought, and I’m sure we could all add more to the list.

(Roots:) Growing up, I was blessed in many ways by the positive involvement of my own father. I have always felt supported by him—and my mom—and know that they are on the same page about the important things regarding our family. You can imagine the kind of security and comfort this provides. I know I can go to him for help and advice, as well as encouragement for my interests and endeavors.

Another benefit I recognize from my dad’s involvement is the source of learning opportunities he provides. Dad is always willing to teach me things. I have learned many things I might not have otherwise, such as: how to steer a canoe, use a cordless drill, cross-country ski, drive a boat, waltz, draw 3D shapes, present myself well for interviews, and entertain myself on long road trips. These are just a few examples where my dad’s encouragement and patience, as well as his willingness to take the time to teach, left a positive impact on my life and equipped me with skills I will continue to use, appreciate, and share in the future.

(Branches:) The benefits are so clear and so numerous. I will continue to prepare myself to be an involved mother with my own future children as well as to help encourage my future spouse to be an involved father. There are many ways I can prepare myself. One thing I am doing is taking parenting and family studies classes in college. I am learning guiding principles and equipping myself with an understanding of positive practices which will aid me in parenting.

As for being proactive towards ensuring that my husband will be an involved father, (you can laugh if you want, but) I take this into consideration even in the dating stage. I’ll be frank that I’m looking for qualities and indications of someone truly looking forward to a family and being very invested in his children’s lives. I want to be able to work together with my husband in all things regarding the raising of our family.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment